Bryan and I are going to subscribe to a CSA this year. CSA stands for Community-Supported Agriculture, and it's basically family farmers who issue shares in the farm to people in the community. You pay before the season, so the farmer has the cash flow to raise the food, and then you get a box of produce every week.
I think this choice is about deeper and broader issues than cost. For me it's about getting back in touch with where my food comes from. Making the chain linkages shorter in this globalized economy, and establishing relationship within an economic transaction.
It's about supporting family farmers who are being good stewards of creation. Encouraging democracy in food production.
It's also about getting back to the land. I can't be a farmer or live in the country right now, but this is the next best thing. For us, a part of a holistic, simple lifestyle is appreciating the simple joys of land and dirt and colorful vegetables.
I think one share is a lot of food, from what I hear, so hopefully we'll find folks to share it with. This also helps build community in our lives.
If you want to find a CSA near you (anywhere in the US), check out this website:
www.localharvest.org
Sunday, March 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment