Time
I miss my cell phone as a timepiece. I stopped wearing a watch years ago, but I’m used to always being in proximity to a wall clock or someone else wearing a watch. It seems these days I only know what time it is when I’m in the house, and even then only certain rooms. I don’t mind though, since I really don’t have much of a schedule, and I get home when I get home (it’s really not usually in my control). My first week here I had to buy a cheap little clock with an alarm because I was completely without a timepiece. (Have you ever seen that scene in the movie IQ, where for a psychology experiment a guy is locked in a room without a watch and is just screaming with the torture of it?)
In case you might think that Brazil uses a looser sense of time than the United States, you’d be wrong, as I was. Unfortunately, I am still late for every event. When my hosts say 10am, they mean 10:00am. Ah… but I’m learning.
But there are alternative means of time-keeping. For instance, last year I had my browser home page set on the hunger site, which every time you visit that site and click a button companies donate one cup of food. And then after clicking, it says how many cups of food have been ‘clicked’ that day. So even without looking at the time I could know roughly where in the day I was, based on how many cups had been given.
My shampoo bottle is also being a good alternative time-keeper. I am one-third through my time here, and interestingly (I didn’t try for this) my shampoo is one-third gone. And it’s a pretty orange in a clear bottle, so it’s like a sandglass or one of those thermometers and I can sort of count down to coming home. Pretty cool, huh?
Oh, and by the way, speaking of time, I am now 5 hours ahead of the west coast rather than 4, and 2 ahead of the east coast. Brazil does practice Daylight Savings Time, but not in the Sertão as there is no farming and really no point.
Sunday, October 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was recently watching Dateline or some such show and they were predicting that wearing a watch would completely fall out of favor because people use their cell phones, Blackberries and such. They said watch wearing has fallen about 30% already.
I still wear a watch. I do not carry or even own a cell phone or any portable electronic device. I'm a rebel. :-)
Post a Comment