I'll try to write more posts! I know you all who've checked more than once have been disappointed with no new news and are liable to give up on me.
I'm settled in my apartment, and have spent all week trying to frame and hang the art I've collected, particularly oddly-shaped stuff from Mozambique.
Additionally, I've started to get involved with a non-profit founded by a woman in our church, a transitional housing ministry. I'm on the board, and this month is a good time for me to pull my weight in helping out, so I'm going to try to do a brochure, powerpoint presentation, and start some grantwriting stuff. It's been very interesting this week to see what she's doing, to build relationships with folks, and see how God works in people's lives. Bryan's been leading a Bible Study there each week this summer, and I just started going with him to that as well.
This week's passage was on the mustard seed parable (Matthew 13:31-35), which he also led at his college Bible Study the previous night. He opened by asking for stories of when people'd been underestimated or felt like the 'underdog'. He was surprised to hear the students' stories were all unresolved, rather than victorious. This is strange for a group of students who tend to care very much about image. In contrast, the stories of these residents coming from homelessness, addiction, and family members in prison were all triumphant. I was so impressed that with all they've been hit with, they still see themselves as victors. I believe that God was leading each group in the direction they needed to go-- college students to be humble, the beaten-down to be empowered.
Thursday, September 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment